For background music, click here  

  “Yaari House” in the Great Courtyard
Click here to enlarge

Meir Yaari (Wald) was born in 25.4.1897 in Risha, a Galician town (Poland) and as a young boy joined the “Hashomer Hatzair” movement, which was then founded. In the years 1915 –1918 he started studying agriculture in Vienna academy in Austria and managed the “Hashomer Hatzair” center there. When World War I started, he was recruited to the Austrian army and served as an officer. (It is interesting to observe, in this context, that military inclination may be in the family genes since Meir’s eldest son, major general Aviezer Yaari, excelled in the IDF as Intelligence high-ranking officer, especially during Yom Kippur War, and his eldest grandson, Yedidia Yaari, became chief officer of the naval commando unit 13 and was later appointed commander of Israel’s Navy.

Meir Yaari’s picture

In 1919, when the war was over, Yaari stopped studying, having decided it’s time for self- realization. He joined “Hachshara” in order to prepare for immigrating to Israel, and a year later arrived there with the “Third Aliyah’. He first worked in road building and olive planting in upper and lower Bitanya, but in 1921 resumed his agricultural studies in Mikveh Yisrael. At the same time, he continued to be politically active and was among the founders of General Workers Union. In 1923 he wrote his first important essay “ Detached symbols”, in which he criticized the myth of Bitanya.

That year Meir married Anda Carp and a year later, while they were still in a camp in Tel Aviv, their daughter Rachel was born. In 1924, he founded the Worldwide Hashomer Hatzair Movement and in 1927 he founded the “Kibbutz Artzi” movement where he functioned as chairman for many years, participated in several Zionist congresses and published important articles that determined the methodology of the Workers Movement in Israel. In 1929 he came with “Hertzelia A” group to resettle Merchavia and stayed there to his last day.  

Yaari’s reconstructed study in “Yaari house”

In 1949 Yaari was among the founders of “ Hashomer Hatzair” political party and became its general secretary. Two years later, he assembled a couple of political parties, formed Mapam, an important and very influential Left party and became its leader. When the Knesset was established, Yaari was the Head of Mapam for seven Knesset Parliamentary sessions. When he became 76 years old, in 1973, Yaari retired from the Knesset and Mapam but continued to be politically involved and write ideological essays in the party’s newspaper, ”Al Hamishmar”. Yaari died in 12.2.1987 at the age of 89 and was buried in Merchavia’s graveyard, which was, at the time, the Cooperation’s graveyard and in fact, the first Jewish graveyard in Yizreel Valley.

In order to coordinate your visit the Great Courtyard, please call Shlomo Sdeur and inform him of the date and hour you will be coming. Mr. Sdeur’s cell phone number: 052/3638156.